It is a gorgeous day here, I do have to admit as much as I am loving this day I am missing my friends in VA and Bill who is there doing Sharathon! I am praying for God’s favor for them as they raise their budget. Meanwhile I figured it was a great day to come up with some recipes for some of this cooler weather we are having!
Cheesy Potato Soup
4 slices bacon
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
5 cups diced peeled russet potatoes (about 5 medium)
1 medium stalk celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 carton (32 oz) chicken broth (4 cups)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1 bag (8 oz) shredded American and Cheddar cheese blend (2 cups)
In 12-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, turning occasionally, until browned and crispy. Remove from skillet, reserving fat in skillet. Drain bacon on paper towel, then refrigerate. In same skillet, cook onion in bacon fat over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender.
Spray 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, mix onion, potatoes, celery, broth, salt and pepper.
Cover; cook on Low heat setting 6 to 7 hours.
In small bowl, beat flour and half-and-half with wire whisk until well blended; stir into soup. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook about 30 minutes longer or until thickened. Stir in cheese until well melted. Crumble bacon; sprinkle over soup.
Sage Cornmeal Biscuits
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until browned. Serve warm. Yield: 10 biscuits.
Caramel Apple Dip
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 3 medium tart apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, brown sugar, caramel topping and vanilla until smooth; fold in marshmallow creme. Cut apples vertically into thin slices.
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice and water; toss apples in lemon juice mixture. Drain.
- Using Halloween cutters, cut out the center of each slice. Serve apple slices and cutouts with dip. Yield: 2 cups.
Have a blessed Fall day!