I am excited to be with Bill this week in VA at both Spirit FM and then WPER they are both great stations with outstanding staff! I would love to share with you a couple of the books that our friend Dr. Tim Clinton shared with us today as well as an interesting fact about tomatoes and some Strawberry goodie recipes!
Dr. Tim Clinton has an incredible book out:
His wife Julie Clinton’s book would be for those of us who occasionally have a wild ride on the emotional train. 🙂
Now about those TOMATOES, did you know:
Call it a vegetable or a fruit, the tomato is in a food class by itself. Interestingly, cooked tomato products, like tomato paste, puree, stewed tomatoes, and even ketchup, deliver more of its well-known antioxidant lycopene, a cancer fighter, and potassium than when eaten raw. Tomatoes also have vitamins A and C and phytochemicals that make it an nutrition essential for women’s health. I was surprised to learn this because I have always assumed that if it was raw then I was getting the best benefit from any food, so I thought I would just share that interesting little tidbit for our health!
Stuffed Crust Strawberry Pie
Prep Time: 25 Min Total Time: 2 Hours and 35 Min
- 1Heat oven to 400°F. Unroll 1 crust on work surface. Into medium bowl or food processor, crumble almond paste. Add 1 teaspoon cornstarch and the egg white. Mix or cover and process until smooth. Spread on crust to within 1 1/4 inches of edge. Unroll second crust; place on top and pat together gently. Place stuffed crust in ungreased 9-inch glass pie plate. Seal edges; flute. Cover edge with foil; fit second pie plate inside first pie plate on top of crust.
- 2Bake 10 minutes. Remove top pie plate; gently prick crust surface over filling about 15 times with fork. Bake uncovered about 15 minutes longer or until crust is light golden brown. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 3Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, mix granulated sugar and 3 tablespoons cornstarch. Stir in strawberries. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until filling thickens. Refrigerate about 30 minutes, stirring once, until cool.
- 4Just before serving, spread strawberry filling in crust. In medium bowl, beat whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Spread on top of pie. Garnish with strawberries.
Prep Time: 45 Min Total Time: 8 Hours and 45 Min
- 1Heat oven to 450°F. Unroll 1 crust in 10-inch glass pie plate or 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate. Trim outside edges. Prick bottom and side with fork. Use second pie crust to put a braid on outside rim of crust. Cut crust into 1/4-inch strips, and braid three strips at a time. Brush egg white on crust edge and place braid on, pushing in slightly.
- 2Combine crushed pretzels, 1/4 cup sugar and the melted butter. Press into bottom pie crust. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool.
- 3Stir together cream cheese and 1 1/2 cups sugar until sugar is dissolved. Carefully fold in whipped topping. Spread in cooled crust, reserving 2 cups filling to decorate pie. Place a flat layer of strawberry slices on top of filling. Mix boiling water and gelatin (with a few ice cubes) to make about 1 2/3 cups gelatin. Thicken slightly and pour over strawberries on pie. Refrigerate pie 8 hours or overnight.
- 4Decorate outside edge of pie with 2 cups reserved cream cheese mixture.